Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that brings to mind memories of home-cooked meals and cozy gatherings around the dinner table. This hearty dish is made from a flavorful blend of ground meat, herbs, spices, and other ingredients, baked to perfection. In this recipe, we will take you through the steps of creating a delicious meatloaf that is moist, tender, and bursting with savory flavors. Whether you’re cooking for your family or hosting a dinner party, this meatloaf recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- 2 pounds ground beef (or a mix of ground beef and pork)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Mixing and Shaping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, chopped onion, minced garlic, beaten eggs, milk, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. It’s best to use your hands to ensure even distribution of the ingredients.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the greased or lined loaf pan. Shape it into a loaf, making sure it is evenly packed and smooth on top.
- Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C).
- During the last 10 minutes of baking, you can brush the top of the meatloaf with additional ketchup or a glaze of your choice for added flavor and a beautiful caramelized finish.
- Once cooked, remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Slice the meatloaf into thick, juicy portions.
- Serve the meatloaf with your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a fresh green salad.
- Optionally, you can drizzle some gravy over the meatloaf or serve it with extra ketchup on the side.
In conclusion, meatloaf is a classic dish that satisfies both the stomach and the soul. With its rich flavors, tender texture, and simple preparation, it’s no wonder that meatloaf has remained a beloved staple for generations. By following this recipe, you can create a mouthwatering meatloaf that will delight your taste buds and bring comfort to your dining table. So, gather your ingredients, mix, shape, and bake your way to a delicious homemade meatloaf that will make any mealtime special. Enjoy the hearty goodness and the warmth of this timeless comfort food.